Welcome to the Powerbookspinoy Forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Books You Will Never Read Again / Stories You Hate

"Burning obsession" by Carole Mortimer.

Story: the guy is obsessed/obsessively in love with the girl/wife, so far as to hate the unborn child, because she is very delicate and having the child may endanger her life. Never tells her that he is in love with her or the fact that she has a medical problem. Girl overhears something, misunderstands, suffers misscarriage. Leaves the husband.
    They stay separated for 5 years. Circumstances bring them together again after 5 years. In a typical MB fashion, sparks fly and all the misunderstandings are cleared and they have twins as a bonus.

Verdict: I did not find it too paltable for my taste.
    I some how did not like the idea of a guy who is so obsessve about one, that he would rather a)rape you, b)take to drink and c) be moody (but that is a harlequin hero basal characteristic), rather than telling you that he loves you and cannot live without you.

Give this one a miss. not reallly up to her usual style.

Veteran Member

oooh, love Harlequins (the good ones, that is). will steer clear of this book.
    Professional People Watcher

PBP Admin

Any book written by this bimbo Meyer is definitely in my hands off list..

chuck palahniuk books. especially the one with all the deaths.. cant remember the title

i know he's supposed to be this celebrated author and all.. but i found that book too gory for my taste. been steering away from his books ever since
    if you think i look good, well guess what? i taste even better

Veteran Member

Read this e-book (i think, now a classic) the other night called,

The 120 Days of Sodom, or the School of Licentiousness (Les 120 journées de Sodome ou l'école du libertinage)
    by Donatien Alphonse François, Marquis de Sade

it was purely disturbing.

This summary is from Wikipedia.com:

It tells the story of four wealthy male libertines who resolve to experience the ultimate in orgies. To do this, they seal themselves away for four months in an inaccessible castle with a harem of 46 victims, mostly young male and female teenagers, and engage four women brothel keepers to tell the stories of their lives and adventures. The women's narratives form an inspiration for the sexual abuse and torture of the victims, which gradually mounts in intensity and ends in their slaughter.
    i mean, i've read some unpleasant books connected to erotica, but this is by far... And to think it was created in about 37 days, contained in one man's mind. SICK. SICK. SICK. I knew what was coming when I heard about it, but by golly.

Quote Originally Posted by fickle-me
    The 120 Days of Sodom, or the School of Licentiousness (Les 120 journées de Sodome ou l'école du libertinage)
    by Donatien Alphonse François, Marquis de Sade

it was purely disturbing.

No wonder it's disturbing F-M.... it's written by THe Marquis de Sade =

Veteran Member

i know!!! *gag*

after i read it, i couldn't sleep, i kept imagining those things he wrote when i close my eyes. talk about self-torture.

i know!!! *gag*

after i read it, i couldn't sleep, i kept imagining those things he wrote when i close my eyes. talk about self-torture.
    that made me... curious at the very least.. do you have links for the ebook?

yeah, yeah i know how the saying goes... curiosity killed the cat...
    if you think i look good, well guess what? i taste even better

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by dyosa
    i know!!! *gag*

that made me... curious at the very least.. do you have links for the ebook?

yeah, yeah i know how the saying goes... curiosity killed the cat...
    It's all over the net, just type the title of the e-book and it'll pop up, I guess this is because it is now considered a "classic". How that came to be? I don't know either, prolly some nutcase thought it was worthy of being called a classic.

YOU'VE BEEn WARNED.

Full Member Awaiting Email Verification

PHANTOM LIMBS OF THE ROLLOW SISTERS

I bought this book at Book Sale a couple of months ago. The story was sooo confusing and boring that I just finished it recently (I practically force-fed the story to my brain). I felt like I read the whole thing and didn't understand what the whole book was about. I dunno if it's me but.. *scratch head*

struggled through the first part of Stephenie Meyer's The Host, but finally gave up

new moon and eclipse the sequels to twilight puke worthy drivel

Catherine Coulter, I can't remember the exact book, it's one of the FBI ones, but she had her characters zipping around L.A. in rush hour traffic and actually getting from one end of the city to the other in 30 minutes ! It may sound petty but coming from L.A. you're lucky to be able to get onto the freeway in half an hour in rush hour, managing to get anything more than a parking space in that time is about as likely as Marilyn Manson capturing a unicorn. Drove me crazy! I never loved her books, but now I can't stand them!

Dean Koontz bugs me too--his books start out great and stay that way through most of it. Then you the point where everything's supposed to come together and be satisfying and then it stops---. It's almost like he has a word count timer on his computer and whenever it hits the set amount, he simply stops the story and plugs in 'the end.' The opposite of Laurell K. Hamilton's latest books, where you go chapters and chapters of description (seriously, her last book, it was something like 50 pages of hair and clothing descriptions before a word of dialogue was uttered) and then the last 3 chapters (or the epilogue) of the book are the story. Both leave me going WTF!

Funny why would you read twilight (series, for that matter) if you're not into that drivel? @mumble

Actually even the book that disgusts me for being "stupid" yep that commonly used adjective - are all worth the read somehow. It tells you something about yourself. I can handle reading almost anything inhumane and unimaginable, but please do not write nonsense.
    I look for you in everyone.

hey!!! missed you guys
    i've seen quite a lot of novels of laurell k hamilton...so i was intrigued, however i am now in page 27 of Nightseer and i have lost the fortitude..maybe because its her debut novel???? i do read a lot of paranormal romance novels from JR Ward and S Kenyon but somehow LHK's Nightseer is not my cup of tea...any suggestions??? reactions?
    i'm still searching for the bad and the ugly!!!