• Show
Clear All

Re: Books You Will Never Read Again / Stories You Hate

ooops forgot to type the title...

it's stormfire by christine monson...

Comment

wow. that one probably wins hands down.

you know, i always thought that authors of the romance genre have this unspoken rule about what constitutes
      romance...

-the heroine sleeps only with the hero
      -the heroine is never raped by anybody else but the hero
      -the heroine never marries anybody else...unless its a marriage of convenience and she stays a virgin (it happens!)

is it me or does anybody notice how stormfire seems to go on and on and on and based on the synopsis given by honey
      grace, it NEVER redeems itself....and it won an award?

Comment

While I was lamenting Lindsey's Pirate's Love, it was because of poorly written story (grammar-wise and story-wise). I also hate the perpetual hide and seek game of the hero and heroine. But boy! that was nothing compared to Monson's Stormfire. Good thing you warned us of it!

To madeleine, although majority of the historical romance plots are like that, there are burgeoning stories that are unconventional and yet, still constitute "true romance." I could give you samples that do not abide those unwritten rules but still good reads.

Comment

Originally posted by chelean
          While I was lamenting Lindsey's Pirate's Love, it was because of poorly written story (grammar-wise and story-wise). I also hate the perpetual hide and seek game of the hero and heroine. But boy! that was nothing compared to Monson's Stormfire. Good thing you warned us of it!

To madeleine, although majority of the historical romance plots are like that, there are burgeoning stories that are unconventional and yet, still constitute "true romance." I could give you samples that do not abide those unwritten rules but still good reads.

hey, please PM me some books/recommendations. i'm always on the lookout for new books/authors.
          i'm currently in my re-reading books phase. can't find anything new/good to read....and its only January!
          Thanks in advance!

Comment

do you like reading paranormals madeleine?

i can recommend JR Ward's the black dagger brotherhood...they're really great!! there are 6 books out in the series now--more to come and there's a guide too... i just luuurrrve how she had written zsadist--i can never find a more tortured hero like him

another great paranormal writer is nalini singh--her psy and changelings are great too!

any one who loves to read may have tried a nora roberts one time or another --but i highly recommend her alter ego j.d. robb--it's about a futuristic cop, eve dallas whose love interest roarke is one of the best written heroes around(there are over 30 books in the series --so that's a good way for you to not re-read---hmm, maybe you've read her already--)

also try sherrilyn kenyon's dark hunter series, dream hunter and were hunter's ...

for historical romances i recommend lisa kleypas(whose books i know you've read)... julia quinn, elizabeth hoyt's prince's trilogy (i love how she incorporates fairytales in her stories), catherine anderson's annie's song,simply love, keegan's lady and comanche moon are the best--i also love her kendrick coulter series(contemporary romance)...lisa valdez's passion(although you may be turned off by the hawtness of the book *wink-wink* if you know what i mean),

if you fancy a contemporary romance try kathy love's steppe sisters trilogy ---i luuurrrrve it!!!!!! the heroes and heroines are very "real" and not over the top--i love the second one-wanting what you get, it's the second "ugly" steppe sister's story and her childhood and adulthood crush--basically it's like a make-over book the heroines have been teased and taunted during their younger years for being ugly and poor---

more to come if i can remember those that ive read

Comment

the only paranormal i've read is Kresley Cole's (bec i'm a fan of her historicals, i figured her paranormals
              would be great also.

for JR Ward, I think I'm going to read zsadist story. the plot is intriguing. how on earth can he get over what
              he went through...hmmm...

and thanks so much for the Kathy Love! i've never heard of her and i love make over romances,
              its one of the reasons why i read harlequins, most of them have those kind of story line.

thank you for the suggestions, will try to go over them...

Comment

I won't read "the lord of the rings" again. It's too darn confusing for my way too limited brain!!

Comment

Originally posted by chiQay
                  I won't read "the lord of the rings" again. It's too darn confusing for my way too limited brain!!
                  you know, i felt that way reading through all those LOTRs
                  i never watched the movie/s...i just read the books. i figured the book would probably be better than any
                  movie, you know....anyway, the hobbit was easier and more fun to read

Comment

books by greg bear - gave me headaches
                    Hitchhiker's guide - did not like ending
                    Pier's Anthony's "Anthonology" - too much sex

Most of the others I already forgot about... geez, I hope I don't pick 'em up again by mistake hehehe
                    &lt;i&gt;Cave ab homine unius libri&lt;/i&gt;<br />Beware of anyone with just one book...

Comment

the silmarillion by jrr tolkien

*nosebleeding*

Comment

Originally posted by kalamari
                        the silmarillion by jrr tolkien

*nosebleeding*
                        oooh thanks so much!! i want to really annoy this person coz she feels like the queen of ebook-reading when she just started reading ebooks just december15-- and want her to get nosebleed too--- i'll recommend this haha!!! forgot about the Tolkien's!! she was like *hey i got a complete collection of so and so (names the author)* and i sarcastically said *oh you've just read those?* aarrrgh !!! hate those peeps ---if im really mad i'll conjure Simi and give her some BBQ sauce ---that person will make be eating mwahaha!

sorry for my rant--it's just that evrytime she sees me she asks for a new book and when i say an author she says oh i've read that( but i just found out she had her lackey look for it in the net!! aarrgghh!!)

Comment

gave up on Tolkien when i was in HS.

@honey: ooooh, i hate those people!!! gah, i thought they only exist in my sphere.
                          &quot;sometimes the T.V. is like a lover,<br />singing softly as you fall asleep,<br />you wake up in the morning and it&#39;s still there,<br />adding up the things you&#39;ll never be.&quot; - s t a r s

Comment

hehe even in bukid2x people like that exists

kainis!

im sure if i'll rec'Tolkien she'll gamely say --oh i've read that--hehe and i'll quiz her about it hehe *strokes imaginary beard*

Comment

i haven't been to the forum for a while because of my Lesser Boss...he makes me want to take a stake...a big one!

anyways, just read Honey's synopsis of stormfire...gosh it was soooo convoluted my brain got seriously twisted
                              thanks so much for the warning!

i also did not have the fortitude to read LOTR..to long and complicated for my simple brain, that's why i love the movies hehehe

But i'd like to add to my never to be read again list.... Cameron Dean's Eternal Hunger..the ending is crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by mabzap
                                i haven't been to the forum for a while because of my Lesser Boss...he makes me want to take a stake...a big one!

i also did not have the fortitude to read LOTR..to long and complicated for my simple brain, that's why i love the movies hehehe

But i'd like to add to my never to be read again list.... Cameron Dean's Eternal Hunger..the ending is crappy.
                                hee hee a stake, don't forget to bring a hammer too

Oh man is Cameron Dean's EH crappy? darn I just got the first book in the series too. Thanks for the heads up though. Time to skim and give it away
                                *****************************************<br />http://samurai-seven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X